I’m organising a 19-day trek to Dolpo for October of this year. This beautiful and remote corner of Nepal is tucked behind the Annapurnas and was the setting for Peter Matthiessen’s impenetrable classic, The Snow Leopard.
The region is famed for its Tibetan culture, small villages, temples and the fabulously blue Phoksundo Lake. The trek will lead us over the high and snowy Kang La and into the isolated and restricted (‘don’t have a permit, don’t get in’) Shey Gompa area. From here we will do a kora, or circuit, of Crystal Mountain, the second holiest of all peaks after Mt Kailash for Buddhists. Completing a kora will give you good karma for a very long time.
I trekked in Dolpo a few years back and was blown away by the landscape and the people of the region, so am obviously keen to go back. Suffice to say it has been my favourite of all the trips I have done in Nepal this past decade. Basically it’s a great place to make photographs and is flippin’ amazing!
• I am planning to run the trip from October 12 to November 4 in 2013 (tentative dates).
• 24 days (arriving in and departing Kathmandu).
• Price will be in the region of £2750 to include pretty much everything except international flights and insurance. You will also need to allow a further £80 – £100 for crew tips and some money for beers and ethnic tat. (The price includes the $500 cost of the Dolpo trekking permit.)
• The 19-day trek is graded as DEMANDING – we will cross three high passes and the highest point on the trip will be 5375 metres. Tough, but well within the realms of Mr. and Mrs. Average, if fit and prepared.
• I need a minimum of 10 folk to make it happen and a maximum of 16 (so far there are 7 people committed to the trek)
I have been a professional photographer for thirty years and always loved the great outdoors. Following a year of travelling in 2002 I became a guide for a well-respected travel company. Since then I have led more than 60 trips to wilderness areas all over the world. As well as guiding for KE Adventure I also arrange my own Mates Treks and in the last few years I have organised and run trips to Mt Kenya, Patagonia, Annapurna and Morocco. The Mates Trips are a wonderful way of travelling with like-minded people in a more relaxed way. I only invite people I like, or those that are recommended by friends. So, be warned, if you are tempted to ask to come along you will be vetted by me to make sure you’ll fit in with the group.
As you might imagine the trek will have a strong photographic element to it. Some more images from my last trek in Dolpo can be found here
Contact me if you need to find out more.